The Calmness of Bled, Slovenia

9 November 2015 Lake Bled, 4260 Bled, Slovenia

image of the landscape of lake bled in the summer

C A L M.
Something i've been lacking in my life as of late. The insane school weeks, the crazy deadlines, test after test after test, and not having enough time to study for everything.
Pretty much everyone faces the same problems when in college I guess.

Gone were the days I was on my year abroad. Those carefree days where the skies were bluer and the days were brighter (well not literally considering in Singapore you get way more sun). I miss those days with a passion. I miss walking along cliffs, visiting lakes, rowing boats, cruising through fjords, admiring nature, watching sunsets, having 4 seasons, experiencing winter, (Ok I will get to do that in December, but still!) Mostly, I miss not having to worry too much about my academics and obsessing over maintaining my Grade Point Average.

So, in the spirit of introducing a little bit more peace and serenity in my life, I'm sharing some more pictures of my time in Lake Bled, one of the more peaceful places (in my memory).

Lake bled image in the summer
Wooden hut on lake bled, and scenery in the summer, slovenia, bled

I loved how my friend and I could just stroll leisurely around the lake, and that would probably take up couple of hours. I think I have some secret-never-said-before-desire to live by a lake. How calming it would be, how Sunday afternoons would consists of family picnics by the lake, watching ducks and swans paddle around the lake.

Families out by the lakes in the summer bled, slovenia
Ducks paddling in lake bled, slovenia
Heart shaped structure on lake bled slovenia

Perhaps we could even go paddle boating, or boat rowing, or swimming, the activities are endless. If I'm not up for anything, I bet I could just sit on a bench and people-watch the whole afternoon away. Or accompanied by a good book.

Paddle boarding on lake bled with bled island in the background
get an aerial view of bled from this high point

Living by a lake, that would be such a dream.

Lake bled, unlike other lakes, has a tiny island in the middle of it. Which you could actually climb up to the top to have a nice aerial view of bled city I presume. While I was in bled, my friend and I didn't have enough time to hop off our boat on to the little island. Or rather, as first time boat rowers, we didn't know how to dock the boat and get off, so intsead of running the risk of capsizing - since we were with all our cameras, phones and other valuables on the boat, we just went around the little island instead.


Scenic view of lake bled

There is something very calming about watching people row boats, or staring out into the lake and the scenery around. The Mountains and hills behind, the beautiful sky, the blue waters, it is no wonder poets and artists all choose to live by some kind of water body or close to nature.

boat rowers on lake bled, slovenia
Swan and lily pads on lake bled slovenia

One thing I greatly enjoyed during my stay in bled was having meals by the lake. The restaurants around the lake have one of the best views, no doubt, so alfresco dining was a must. On top of that, they also had live musical duos playing by the lake, good music, good view, good food, there was nothing more I could have asked for.

Live performances and music while dining in a restaurant beside lake bled, slovenia
little robin perched on a rope

Occasionally we saw little robins flying about perching on the ropes near the tables, and flying from one table to another stealing fallen bread crumbs or bread pieces that were given to them by the restaurant diners. How snow-white-in-the-enchanted-forest-esque. The greenery and the blue skies coupled with the chirping birds seems like a scene right out of a fairytale.

View of lake bled from a higher ground.

If I could teleport right now, i'd probably teleport myself a couple months back, just to enjoy the peace and calmness of lake bled. Perhaps after a nice calm day, i'll have more zest and fight to take on the exam month of November!

I still have more of my trips I'd love to share, and more posts I want to write, but as you probably could guess, I'm in the midst of preparation for finals, and hence the sporadic posts.
I hope you do stick around though, because once finals is over, I'm off to Japan and there would be SO MUCH MORE exciting stories i'd want to share on this blog!

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Travel and Life | By Carina Chung . Design by Fearne .