Harry Potter Studios - How the Magic Happened!

20 August 2015 Warner Bros. Studio Tour London, Studio Tour Drive, Watford, Leavesden, Hertfordshire WD25 7LR, UK

WARNING: This post will be extremely photo intensive (because, Harry Potter - duh).

how the magic happened in harry potter

Last winter when my family went over to London, I decided that visiting the Warner Brother's Harry Potter Studios was a fun activity for us all. 
As we made our way there that lovely afternoon (outfit diary here!) excitements were high. The night before, we watched as many HO movies as we could just to "prepare" for the excursion. Even mummy was excited. Mummy who doesn't know much about Harry Potter (ok she knows a fair bit because we made her watch some of the movies with us).
My sister, being the book-lover was throwing out spells from the 7 books she read through and through, and my brother and I were just entertaining her, whilst talking about our favourite HP scenes.

Harry Potter studios entrance images
harry potter's house under the staircase in the harry potter studios
Display of HP LED posters Harry Potter Studios, Engalnd

When we arrived we were greeted with huge posters of the Harry Potter Cast and an enormous Christmas Tree. Everyone waiting was bubbling with excitement as we queued up beside Harry's room under the staircase, snapping pictures as we passed by.
After we entered the premises, they played an introductory clip showing us lovely visuals from the different movies. Finally, the doors swung open and we came face to face with The Grand Hall. Oh my, you could hear the gasps.
It was as grand as it could be.

Grand hall in Harry Potter Studios, Engalnd
Harry Potter Studios, Engalnd Grand hall with professors in front of the hall
The table details of the grand hall in Harry Potter Studios, Engalnd
The table set of the Grand hall and prefects attire in Harry Potter Studios, Engalnd

The Hall looked just like how it was in the movies, with food lined up at the table, figurines of Snape, Dumbledore, Mcgonagall and the other professors in the front of the room. At that moment, I know my family siblings would run free and explore the premises on their own and I wouldn't get to see them until I reached the exit.

Harry Potter Studios, Engalnd the knight bus in azkaban
Harry Potter Studios, Engalnd
Huge chess pieces of Harry Potter Studios, Engalnd

So I went along with mummy and explained to her the importance of the different things on the table, and the different sets we saw.
From The weasely's house, to Hagrid's, gryffindor's common room, to Dumbledore's office, Umbridge whole lot of pink things and even the Knight Bus and Human sized chess pieces in Sorcerer's stone. The sets and props were so incredibly designed, the details in the different trinkets displayed around were just beyond believe. The amount of care and time put into making sure the sets are done up to that level of detail is unimaginable.
Eventually mummy decided she was more interested in things like how they shot the flying car scene, how the costumes were designed, and so I lost her after a while and went on exploring on my own.

Harry Potter Studios, Engalnd
Chandelier in Gryffindor common room Harry Potter Studios, Engalnd
wands and other props in Harry Potter Studios, Engalnd
potion room Harry Potter Studios, Engalnd
Dumbledore's office in Harry Potter Studios, Engalnd
Ron weaseley's house Harry Potter Studios, Engalnd
Hagrid's house Harry Potter Studios, Engalnd

Harry Potter Studios, Engalnd prizoner of askaban props


But when you're in the Harry Potter Studios, you don't ever feel alone. You don't realize you're alone, because everything is so fascinating.
After passing by the huge room with the different sets and displays, I arrived at the creature shop. Creatures. You have no idea how much effort and detail goes into creating them. I always thought they were done digitally, with some avatar, CGI, computerised stuff. But when you see the individual creatures up close, wow. You will be amazed at the HP Production team. Props to the for being able to make alive the creatures in JK Rowling's imagination.
Everyone else was just so fascinated by the figure of Dobby, Hagrid, the mermaids in the Tri-wizard tournament etc.

How they made harry potter creatures come to live
Faces and heads of creatures at Harry Potter Studios, Engalnd

Exiting the creature shop, I turned a corner, and then stumbled into what seemed like the most magical set. It was my FAVOURITE part of the whole tour. Diagon Alley.
The lights were changing, and music from the HP Movies were playing over the speakers as people walk along part of the set of Diagon Alley. You literally feel like you're there, and that Harry, Hermoine, or Ron could just pass by you any minute. The wand shop, the owl shop, everything looked so real. I felt as though I was on set, in the film.

on the set of Diagon alley in Harry Potter Studios, Engalnd
Diagon alley in Harry Potter Studios, Engalnd
Harry Potter Studios, Engalnd diagon alley

If you've read my blog for a while, you'll probably be able to guess that I'm quite into architecture. I love the whole idea of visualising something and designing or building it. So when I walked straight into the brain of the HP set designers (or what felt like it) it was just incredible. The mini models and interiors of each set were built in so much detail, so meticulously pieced together, I was going "WOW!" the entire time in my head.

set model of Harry Potter Studios, EngalndHarry Potter Studios, Engalnd interior model of dumbledore's studio

The ACTUAL wow though, came when I saw a HUGE model of Hogwarts towards the end of the tour. It was like magic in its own way. I just stopped and stared in admiration at the model. How I wished the real school of Hogwarts existed!!





Before leaving the premises of the tour, visitors entered the wand shop. THE INCREDIBLE WAND SHOP. The names on each boxes were different. The colours of the boxes were vibrant. The room was an actual shop size. I wouldn't even begin to be able to imagine this in real life. It was the best way to end the tour! Mummy was so impressed she spent much time taking photos and reading names in the room. Ending off at the wand room, and then going into the harry potter shop just makes you wanna buy every single wand. But of course... Wands aren't cheap. My sister and brother bought one each anyway, and mummy was so enthusiastic she insisted I got one too. Instead of getting a wand, I got a buttload of goodies. Which was way more exciting for me! I mean... Harry potter Candy!!! Chocolate frogs! How cool!

Wand shop of Harry Potter Studios, Engalnd
Harry Potter Studios, Engalnd. The wand shop details
Souvenir shop of Harry Potter Studios, and wands

The Harry Potter Studios is available for a visit through out the year, which is perfect. People living in the UK or London, should find some time to get down, especially if they're harry potter fans! I foresee this being one of my favourite memories with my stay in UK. No Regrets. Never.


Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Travel and Life | By Carina Chung . Design by Fearne .