Outfit Diary: Life Updates - Home After A Year Abroad

27 July 2015 Singapore

Outfit Diary, thoughts on returning home to singapore after a full year abroad

"Welcome to Singapore and To all Singaporeans Welcome Home!"
When those words resounded over the PA system after a 13 hour flight from London, I felt so many emotions all at once. Excited to be back, Curious to see how Singapore has changed over the 1 year (It has changed a lot in just a year!) Nervous for the changes that will take place in the coming year, Sadness because I'm no longer in Europe (definitely missing the european summer weather!) but mostly, Happy to be home and to be able to see my friends and family again.

Being away for over a year has been such one amazing, enriching, and enjoyable ride. But I guess what they say about Home being the best place on earth is actually true.
To be honest, Im not that much of an emotional person, and I'm not extremely attached to Singapore. Sure, I love it, and there are many, many things I enjoy about Singapore. But I also love travelling, exploring new places, living out of a suitcase, and seeing the world! That is definitely something I'll miss now that I'm done with my year abroad.
One never really does get over the wanderlust!


Outfit Feat. Necklace from happiness boutique
Image of singapore streets in the residential area

As of now, I still have sit in front of 2 fans or be in an air-conditioned room because the weather in Singapore is way too hot and humid. I remember being in Greece and Slovenia and complaining about the weather, oh Singapore is worst! However did I use to survive in this 30 degrees equatorial climate. Oh goodness. In the past few days, I'm just dressed in tops with cut-out and lots of ventilation, shorts, skirts or summer dresses. I cannot bring myself to put on more items of clothing, or pants for that matter.
Accessorising, too, goes down to a minimum, 1 necklace and that's all I can manage (considering how sticky my body feels after being out for a whole day). Which means having a long statement necklace like the one from Happiness Boutique - an online boutique stall based in Berlin that has free shipping around the world, and a cool customer reward program (go check it out if you don't believe!) - is all I need to feel a little more put together when the weather is too warm for me to function.



Image of a statement necklace from happiness boutique
What I Wore
Top:
Shorts: Forever 21
Necklace: c/o Happiness Boutique
Sandals: Forever 21
Thankfully, I am adjusting to the pace of life and commitment level back home pretty comfortably. Summer school has begun (sigh), plus, there are lots of pre-semester requirements / administrative issues I have to deal with in the coming weeks before University officially resumes in August.
I expected the transition back home to be hard, and I can safely say, it is definitely not easy. Things don't just go back to the way they were one year ago. So, my knowing that, has definitely helped in terms of getting in to the swing of things.

Oh yes, how could I possibly leave out food. Being home means having LOTS OF FOOD. Home cooked food prepared by my grandparents? DIVINE. That is something i've dearly missed during my year abroad. Traditional local hawker food is also something i've missed. Savouring a familiar dish after not having it for over a year, and attempting to recreate it (but failing and having to eat the dish anyway!) makes it all the more delicious.

Brunch at sunday folks with tea, waffles, earl grey ice-cream and gula melaka icecream

What I love most about coming home, is meeting up with old friends, hanging out, and finding out how everyone is progressing in their life. It gives me so much joy and inspiration to know that my friends are doing well, and everyone is all progressing into different exciting chapters of their life. Some are planning their semesters abroad, while others are about to graduate. It's wonderful to see how everyone is growing up but not apart from each other. Which is something that is so hard to come by.

Anyway, my new potentially hectic university schedule means that I may not be able to travel as much as I did when I was in Europe, however, I definitely plan to take trips around South East Asia - Vietnam being the first!
I can't believe i've never really explored South East Asia.  Going away and coming home (or reading one too many travel blogs haha!), has showed me how incredible and different each country in South East Asia is. I want to not only explore Singapore, but the whole of South East Asia! Stay tuned for more of my travel stories (oh yeah I still have my whole summer break travels to share!) and hopefully i'll be able to make time amidst my university schedule to do the thing I love the most: Travel, meet new people, learn and grow with various valuable experiences.

Fashion Outfit feat. Forever 21 and happiness boutique

After all, I firmly believe in the quote: "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn 't do than by the ones you did do." So time to catch the trade winds in my sail, explore, dream and discover!


Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Travel and Life | By Carina Chung . Design by Fearne .