Outfit Diary: Colourful Streets of Dublin, Ireland

20 June 2015 Dublin, Ireland

architecture and buildings in dublin ireland

Dublin on a good sunny morning can be really pretty. 
When I was there early in May - no doubt it rained more than half the time - I was lucky enough to experience a warm afternoon with the sun bright and warm, the sky a pretty shade of blue with fluffy white clouds. Of course, that didn't last for too long because that evening it poured. Sigh. Irish weather. 

Anyway, I made the best of the good weather by hitting up all the Main Streets of Dublin, sunglasses on, and walking around without using my maps just exploring the streets. I realized that , sans the not so fantastic weather, Dublin is actually a colourful, enjoyable fun city to live in

Buildings and streets image of Dublin Ireland
Perspective shot of the lamps and streets of Dublin Ireland

Dublin has an unusual, unplanned look to its architecture design. Buildings can alternate from having a more modern facade on one side of the street, and then a more older European architecture style on the other. 

The colours of the buildings are pretty random from shades of brick and brown to the occasional blue or green. Since those were their main shopping streets, I bet shoppers can remember their favourite stores by the colour of facade of the building. Who needs to look at shop signs?
If I lived in Dublin, I'd be like H&M? Oh the white building by the corner! (Not that I actually know if H&M is in a white building). 

Colourful flags hanging from trees near the dublin university in ireland

Of course when I talk about colourful streets and buildings I CANNOT leave out the area of Temple Bar! When I was first told to check out Temple Bar (which happened to be right behind my hostel - YAY for good hostel locations - I thought it was a bar. Like a shop. One bar. And in my head I was like... What is there to explore in a bar?! 

Of course I quickly realized that Temple Bar is not actually a bar but quirky hipsterish area in Dublin, filled with lovely independent stores, cafés, actual bars (lol!) and boutiques, all with very lovely interiors and designs.

Image of the lights in temple bar of Dublin Ireland
Temple bar streets and graffiti of Dublin IrelandOOTD along temple bar in Dublin IrelandThe Horseman cafe along temple bar in Dublin Ireland

I'm glad i went to Dublin in the warmer months and not any time earlier in the year. Otherwise I would be too reluctant to leave the hostel and have so much less time exploring. I love how vibrant Temple Bar is with its lights, signs, interesting shop facades and colourful flags on every other café window.

To be honest, even their side streets and back alleys are cool to walk through. 

Colorful buildings on temple bar in Dublin Ireland
Temple Bar The Oliver St. John Gogarty Bar facade in Dublin Ireland

Back alley and art gallery sign being lit up in Dublin Ireland
images of temple bar in Dublin Ireland
Art decorations on the walls along Temple Bar Dublin Ireland

I found so many interesting banners, signboards, artsy decorations, colorful graffiti, and most of all, I adored the whole exposed brick wall facade of the buildings in the area!



What I Wore
Top: Bangkok
Necklace: Primark
Watch: NakedGlory.com
Skirt: SheInside
Bag: Thrifted in Amsterdam
Shoes: Converse

Joy of Cha Café along temple bar in dublin ireland
Potato Cakes and brunch from Queen of Tarts in Dublin Ireland

It is hard to NOT café hop in the area. I went to 2 cafés and a few restaurant/bars for meals when I was there, and every café had such LOVELY interiors. Joy of cha had a nice garden vibe (not fantastic food, but a nice place for coffee and tea) Queen of Tarts was my favourite. I had potato cakes there for brunch and it was yummy! I love how the shop had a traditional English tea party theme. Honestly, I'm pretty sure every café you go to in the area would be very well designed! If I had more money to spare, I'd totally hip from one café to another just to admire their interiors.

image of a side alley in temple bar Dublin Ireland
South City Market covered market in Dublin Ireland

Another place with quirky novelty stores selling various bits and bobs is the South City Market. It's and indoor market I happens to stumble upon whilst roaming around. It was super crammed and there were stalls everywhere. I can only imagine how stuffy and uncomfortable it would be if it was crowded. Luckily I wasn't there on a crowded day.

OOTD IN Dublin Ireland
Love graffiti wall along temple barDublin Ireland
The wall art of love in temple bar Dublin Ireland

Despite the indecisive weather and the rainy days, I enjoyed my short trip in Dublin. I think my favourite if he various colourful places mentioned would have to be Temple Bar (no surprise). It is a great place to hang out if you want to explore and be able to hide out when the weather decides to change. The options are abundant when it comes cafés and shops to hide in from the rain. 

There are also a couple of museums in the area. I visited the photography gallery which I really enjoyed (yet another activity to do when the weather turns!) Temple Bar is one of those places where you can visit both in the day or at night and have a great time!


Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Travel and Life | By Carina Chung . Design by Fearne .